- Can I obtain funding if my project does not meet the budget requirements?
- While all applicants are welcome to apply, the CNY Film Fund aims to help grow the film industry in Central New York. For that reason, we are first selecting applicants that can show a positive financial injection into the Central New York economy through local expenditures and hiring local labor. In the event that the Film Fund does not exhaust all of its resources on larger projects, we may consider applications for low-budget productions or independent films but they would still need to meet strict requirements pertaining to their financial backing.
- What if my production is based somewhere else but I want to shoot a scene in Central New York?
- While any production that meets the requirements is welcome to apply, we would likely opt to fund other projects that will be in Central New York for the majority of their production in order to best ensure the local labor workforce is actively employed. Depending on the production budget and expected local expenditures, some exceptions may apply.
- What resources are available in Central New York?
- Central New York is a thriving community with a diverse economic foundation. Heavily supported by academic institutions and medical facilities, the region is also home to cutting-edge industry leaders in drone technology. Likewise, Syracuse is home to the Greater Syracuse Soundstage, a 52,000 square-foot Qualified Production Facility located within easy driving distance to Syracuse or the surrounding region. Likewise, Central New York is home to over ten colleges and universities that have film or film-related programs, with several being degree-producing, making the area home to an eager and growing workforce of inspired film professionals.
- What if my production has a private investor?
- You may still apply to the program, but you would need to submit evidence in the form of a funding agreement or contract that also has a completion stipulation included.
- Will Innovation Group hold funding to be used later in the year?
- No, unfortunately the funds are available on a first come, first serve basis. Since you have 90 days to begin principal photography from the date of signing the funding agreement (must be done within 30 days of offer), this grants you approximately four months for preproduction upon notification of approval from Innovation Group. As stated in the guidelines, those productions that can show an ability to start their production on time will receive a priority for funding.
- Do films have to be live action or are animation/virtual productions allowed?
As the funding for these programs is designed as an economic initiative, the intent of the program is to ensure that productions will not only have a substantial economic impact to local businesses while filming on-location but also to ensure that as many CNY residents as possible can work on the production. As animations have a limited crew, such productions are not considered qualified for this program.